It's awards nomination season in the Science Fiction and Fantasy fandoms. Eligibility
I encourage anyone nominating to read widely and nominate what you love, but I would be honored to be considered for the following:
Hugo Award for Best Related Work
I have several things eligible for Best Related Work, but I'm most proud of these two:
I'm Not Broken, an essay about how sexual assault survivors are represented in genre fiction, which appeared in Jim C. Hines's Invisible 2. My essay and the collection as a whole are both eligible for the Hugo Award for Best Related Work.
The Call of the Sad Whelkfins: The Continued Relevance of How To Supress Women's Writing, which I co-wrote with Natalie Luhrs for Issue Seven of Uncanny Magazine. This is the essay I'm most proud of from 2015, and I can think of few things that would make me happier than sharing a Hugo with Natalie for it.
Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer
I'm also eligible in the fan writer category. In addition to the two works above, I'm also proud of writing the following things in 2015:
- The Trouble With Heroes, an essay about abuse within social justice communities and how we treat community celebrities.
- On Glamorizing Depression, an essay about depression in artists and writers.
- How To Ally With Survivors, Avengers Edition, on rape jokes and how to challenge them.
- Take Responsibility for Handling Abuse, published on The Bias
- Diversity Panels I'd Like To See, also on The Bias. This post has inspired panel topics at at least two cons, and possibly more.
- And of course, my twitter account, where I frequently run my mouth about issues of interest to the science fiction community. If you want to get really silly, you could nominate me, Natalie Luhrs, Michael Damian Thomas, Navah Wolfe, and our various accomplices for our #CookieWars hashtag, thus securing us a place in history as the first hashtag to be nominated for a Hugo (I'm guessing that'd be Best Related Work).
That's me for 2015! I very much appreciate your consideration. And if you're looking for other works to consider, Author A. C. Wise is keeping a running list of eligibility posts.